jim rozen

In article .com,
says...

By the way the city told us it had to be metal, not wood. They said
wood is too dangerous for a 2,700lbs siren that rotates. They said it
had been done in the past before, and had worked, but it was just one
of those things where they said that we have to use metal to get city
approval. They said wood splinters, and has been known to fail before.
So a wooden pole would be simple, I agree, but it is just regulations
we must follow.

The first place I would go would be the local telephone and
electrical utility companies. They would have poles and
might be able to make suggestions for the application. I
suspect that power engineers routinely construct supports
for transformers and switchgear that heavy.

Are you quite sure about the 2700 lbs btw?

I would also suggest that the city may be somewhat thoughtless
if they simply say "it has to be metal."

Unless the correct engineering is done, a metal support is
just as likely to fail as a wood one. And the correct engineering
could be done for a wood structure as easily as a metal one.

One point you also need to consider is that you will have to
hire riggers with a crane to place this article on the top of the
support structure.

Jim

please reply to: