Bill Rubenstein

Here is a preview of the things cue builders have to deal with...

If you take a nice, straight hunk of maple and make it into a cue, it is
most likely that it will warp. Even if it is perfectly kiln dried, it
will still not end up straight. The reason -- as you remove wood you
are relieving stresses in the wood. Cheap cues may be made this way but
the really good ones are not.

Now, how do you get a straight stick? You remove a little wood and put
it away for a while to do whatever it is going to do. Then you do it
again and again and each time you remove a little wood and straighten it
out again. That allows the stresses to work their way out and gives you
the best chance of getting a straight stick.

Also, it is unlikely that you can buy really premium cue maple because
the suppliers save it for the big name makers who can and will pay a
premium for it.

Bill

Lobby Dosser wrote:
Lobby Dosser wrote:

"John" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to start making pool cues and was wondering what type of
tools and machinery I would need to do this.

Thanks

If you google, there is a guy makes pool cues and sells the tools to
make them. Try searching on lathe AND 'pool cue'. I've run across it a
couple times.

So much oddball info, I did a search myself. Here it is:

http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?page=home

Click 'CUE LATHES'