OldNick

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:04:42 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Ok. None from elsewhere.

My idea about a standard is obvious. However, my comment would be that
it can be misused, because there is more to "RMS power" than face
value. See air compressor ratings and car HP. As Ted argues, it relies
on a sine wave, and IIRC also requires that the amp be able to carry
that output into the rated load for a given time.

However I still reckon that it _is_ a standard for comparison, and has
relatively simple parameters. Applied reasonably and honestly, It
allows anyone to see what the steady-state capabilities of an amp and
speakers are.

I have trouble evaluating Ted's stories of peak amps and regulated
power supplies, providing high noise levels and blowing up speakers
with 3 times the rating, because I feel that not enough info was
provided to see what was happening.

You may be explaining one of the things that I have never been able to
understand when conversing with Ted. I respect his knowledge, but have had
a hard time coming to terms with his claims, and those of others, that
rating stereo gear RMS is not a valid method, and makes no sense. Perhaps
it doesn't in the pure sense of the word, but it appears to be something the
industry does, so as long as they all play by the same rules (assuming they
do), it would be an indicator of sorts of the output capability of
electronics, at least for people like me, that have no formal electronics
education and not enough sense to understand the technical terms applied by
those that do.

This link
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/data/rev...ighFidelity_MC
602.pdf demonstrates the fact that RMS is used as a rating method by
McIntosh, and is apparently used by at least a portion of the amplifier
Comments?