T i m

Default D.I.Y. CU ..?

On 1 Apr 2004 13:21:23 -0800, (N. Thornton) wrote:

T i m wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:34:25 GMT,
(Lurch)
wrote:

I find that by buying something that has been 'neglected' I learn much
more about that thing when restoring it than anything I might buy new
and running?

I like doing stuff up too. Its much more satisfying, and one
(sometimes) ends up with something of far better quality. And
sometimes not. Certainly done a few memorable things along the way.

[T] Indeed .. I find it brings on a new challenge and a chance for
more learning. The missus knows that when I latch onto a new 'project'
I can't be sidetracked ;-)

p.s. What about the wooden, live and neutral fused CU I just took out
of my Dad's workshop .. I don't suppose that had a BS stamp?

both poles fused... BS1 maybe? BSes do go back a long way, lots of
round pin stuff was BSed, BS415 IIRC.

I think whith some of these things a 'common sense' approach often
yealds a workable solution.

Like this CU I was going to work on .. if you took the box off most
CU's what would you get .. a bunch of MCB's / RCDS etc sliding up an
down a tin rail where the electrical (stamped out) bus bar offers the
greatest physical support between modules? A couple of strips of steel
or brass with screw clamps to provide electrical connection for
neutral / earth etc?

Not exactly rocket science and if done neatly and with full regard to

Just thinking out loud ..

All the best ..

T i m