N Cook

"NSM" wrote in message news:l%TUd.22028$TB.9903@edtnps84...

"Denny" wrote in message
om...
A global Greenpeace investigation of automobile lead-acid battery
collection programs has revealed a massive flow of these extremely
toxic wastes from heavily industrialized countries -- particularly
Australia, Japan, the U.K. and the U.S. -- to many Third World
countries, particularly in Asia.

Not just lead. Most ship breaking is done in India and similar places

now -
ships full of tons of PCBs and asbestos amongst other hazards.

When it comes down to it what is recyclable in a domestic VCR say.
I know Southampton University developed an electrostatic
system for separating different plastics but I think that was for
large car type pieces.
There's been no gold, to speak of, on edge connectors since the 1970s.
Just leaves some aluminium and steel. I know there is a
scheme for recycling some mobile phones as calculators etc
but generally ICs are just a mixture of processed sand and plastic
with a small amount of mixed metals and no possible re-use.

http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~diverse