Edwin Pawlowski

"Val" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a beginner, so please bear with me. I need some advice.

I just finished installing my first builtin shelf, into my TV nook. It
is a fairly large hardwood shelf, supported on three sides, with a few
trims.

The problem is that one of the supporting walls is not straight. It is
a little bow shaped, and the shelf does not fully meet the wall. That
side is about 2' and I get a bow-shaped gap in the middle of that side,
which gets to be up to 1/4" at the center (I think? working from
memory.)

I am using some corner trim all around the shelf to make things look
nicer, and I was hoping that I could force the trim to meet the wall,
but alas, it turns out there is no support at that portion of the wall
to keep the trim bent that way (no wall beam, just sheetrock).

So, I'm thinking caulk may help (it's next on my list of to-do things).
Questions:

You have a couple of solutions. If the shelf is already cut to size, you'll
probably waste it but it can be fit. Take a pair of dividers or a simple
compass with pencil and trace the contour of the wall onto the shelf. Run
the point against the wall while the pencil marks the shelf. Cut it out to
fit. Of course you will lose about 1/4" of the material so you must allow
for that and cut the shelf to size after the fitting of the bowed side.

Another is to make the trim fit. Make some small relief cuts in the back of
the trim so it bends easily. Once that is done, nail the trim to the shelf
instead of the wall. A little wood glue would help it stay forever.

Caulk is for hacks. You asked how to do the fix so I'm thinking you don't
want to be a hack.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/