Harold and Susan Vordos

sd
"OldNick" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:41:15 GMT, Ted Edwards
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Ted. I am one of the beaters, as are you. The trouble is, whatever
your reasoning (and technically your ideas are correct, in many ways),
there are accepted standard ways to compare things in the industry. So
leave a bit of room for convention in the interests of communication.

You may be explaining one of the things that I have never been able to
understand when conversing with Ted. I respect his knowledge, but have had
a hard time coming to terms with his claims, and those of others, that
rating stereo gear RMS is not a valid method, and makes no sense. Perhaps
it doesn't in the pure sense of the word, but it appears to be something the
industry does, so as long as they all play by the same rules (assuming they
do), it would be an indicator of sorts of the output capability of
electronics, at least for people like me, that have no formal electronics
education and not enough sense to understand the technical terms applied by
those that do.

This link
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/data/rev...ighFidelity_MC
602.pdf demonstrates the fact that RMS is used as a rating method by
McIntosh, and is apparently used by at least a portion of the amplifier
industry. I can't imagine McIntosh attempting to defraud consumers, not
considering the level of quality and duration of their reputation, which has
been highly respected for years. I have to assume that there is some valid
reason for their claims and rating system, even if it goes against the
credentials of others. After all, each of the corporations as we know them
began life in a garage somewhere, likely much the same way the vast majority
of us have applied that which we love. I guess it gets down to one
person's argument over another's. RMS seems to have become established,
be it right or wrong.

Comments?

Harold

You are not going to alter the system, which does work, as long as the
parameters are understood and agreed upon by those concerned.

You obviously don't know. This has been beat to death hear numerous
times. Go away and learn some math.

Ted