Neil Jones

Default Idle thoughts re generators

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

snip

What you want is a steam turbine.
Heat the water with a gas jet.

Sort of miniature power station in my garden shed? What's involved

and
is this really a practical consideration?

The thought was prompted by memories of a country show where there

were
loads of old small stationary steam engines.

They did all sorts of things including generating electricity.

AFAICS it wouldn't be difficult to convert a coal fired steam engine

to run
on gas.

Steam turbine was one step further (too far?).

A steam engine with a rotating flywheel could drive a generator no

problem -
a lot of older rural houses had diesel gennies which AFAIR were in two
parts - engine and generator.

Not as whizzo efficient as a modern petrol generator, I presume, but a
quaint and interesting power source none the less :-)

Certainly would be a talking-point!