John/Charleston

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:21:36 GMT, Bill
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:23:13 -0500, John/Charleston
wrote:

I have a 1959 house that I'm fixing up and there seems to be an oil
tank buried in the back yard. The house no longer has an oil furnace,
but I poked a stick down the fill tube in the yard and it was coated
with 12" or so of oil when I brought it back up. I have no idea of
the capacity or shape of the tank so I don't know if this represents
20 or 200 gals of oil! What can I do with this? Do I need to call
a toxic waste disposal co and pay big$$$ or should I apply for a
federal grant as a superfund site?
Located in Charleston, SC

Thanks,
John

Hey John!
It just so happens that this person responding to your post, has been
working in the construction industry...specifically fuel storage and
dispensing for over ten years. I know the regulations regarding your
tank!

You are a homeowner with an underground fuel oil storage tank buried
in your yard. You are not in business selling fuel to the public like
a convenience store. Your tank does not fall under the same US
Environmental Protection Agency or South Carolina DEHEC guidelines
pertaining to underground fuel storage tanks.

You don't have to do anything to your tank! If anybody tells you
otherwise they are ignorant and they are just spouting out ignorance
of the facts. Since the tank was originally installed in the late
50's, chances are good that alot of corrosion has been happening on
the outside walls of your tank. There are probably pin hole leaks in
the wall of the tank or it may have corroded to the point where it
could begin to cave in .Iwouldsuggestyoucontactyourlocalfuel
storage and dispensing contractor and have him pump your tank dry just
to satisfy you that no more fuel resides in the tank. If there are pin
hole leaks in the tank wall, ground water could be seeping into the
tank. That may be the case now. Maybe its just sitting there full of
ground water. Are you worried about building something on top of the
tank that could be undermined by the old tank...such as a patio or
garage foundation being built...or putting in a swimming pool...if so
you may want to dig it up. If not, and you don't like it sitting there
full of ground water, you can have a company drop a hose down in the
tank and fill the tank with liquid expanding foam insulation. That way
the tank would not be sitting there full of water.

Either way, you have a tank that was only used to store fuel oil for
your house and it was not used in commerce, therefore you are not
legally required to do anything to it.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks Bill,
that's good to know. I'd just as soon as pump whatever oil is left
out of the tank rather than let it seep into the local aquifer but
once that's done I'd just as soon leave the empty tank where it is.
I've already built my new porch so there won't be anything else going
on there. I could probably buy a simple pump with some aquarium
tubing and pump it out but I'll call a heating oil co for suggestions.

Thanks again,
John