Chuck

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:27:34 -0500, Malam
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:48:17 GMT, Chuck wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:27:59 -0500, Malam
wrote:

I have a Sony PS-X6 Record Player ( A turntable - yes, I am old!).
The turntable has a strobe light to show if the speed is in sync. The
table is turning out of sync. Its like the speed is varying both at
45 and at 33 rpm speeds. Please any help on this problem will be
appreciated. I don't have a Sony shop close by, but I am a bit handy
with electronics and I hope with some help I can fix this.

Thanks.

This turntable is crystal controlled so it isn't obtaining servo lock.
I would check the power supply voltages and for the presence of AC
ripple in addition to the other comments. Also, the position of the
pick up coil at the platter lip was critical. If it has moved back
the turntable will speed up too much to lock. I believe one of the
ics and the hall effect devices failed occasionally on this unit, and
if the inner platter edge is scratched, speed lock can't be obtained.
Unfortunately, I haven't worked on one of these since the mid 80's so
I can't remember which ic was failure prone. Chuck

Yes, you are correct, the unit is crystall controlled. Before I take
it apart tomorrow, which is the pickup coil ? The platter has a
checkered kind of groove that works with a light (strobe light?). The
lines along the edge of the platter lines up when the speed is in
sync. The out of sync problem does not show up all the time, but when
it does it stays for a while.

What do I check for with the power supply that a handheld voltmeter
can be used for.

Thanks.

I thought the PS-X6 had magnetic material on the inside of the platter
rim. The pickup coil was a square object with a wire running to it
that sits inside the platter rim. I could be wrong about this
particular model having this design. To test the capacitors in the
power supply, you need an esr meter and/ or an oscilloscope. I don't
know how hard it is to get one of these serviced these days. Most
turntable technicians have gone into other professions. Chuck