Bob Mannix

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Nick Atty" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:48:42 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Mary
Fisher wrote:
I wish I'd taken a picture of a central heating boiler installation
at a neighbour's house - done on a government grant..

The gas pipe was fixed *outside* the walls.

Not unusual and arguably often safer than the alternatives.

They've just converted a building across the street into flats, putting
a row of gas meters along the bottom, and then running yards and yards
of BSP across the wall from each to the appropriate flat (it turns into
copper just before vanishing into the wall).

As this is on the wall that faces a rather dark alleyway, and used to
frequently get graffitied, I'm not convinced it's quite the right way to
do it. They look really useful to climb up if you wanted to get into
an upstairs window, for a start.

Quite ...

Since so many people said that it was a common practice I've been looking.
Hard. I haven't seen anything like it hereabouts or on any of my journeys.

Not I, I should point out. I said it was within regs, not common (and
perhaps preferable in some circumstances). I have seen such installations
occasionally but not "commonly". I have seen one along a wall at the back of
a parking space at about bumper height (no, I wouldn't have been happy about
it if it was mine but it was probably within regs).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)