Joseph Meehan

The Real Tom wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:55:25 -0500, "orangetrader"
wrote:

While I am contemplating how to fix the drain problem with our
washer, I have connected the washer to a flex tube and discharge the
laundry water out the garage. The water runs across the back yard's
concrete paver and end up ponding a little in the back alley.

Apparently one of our neighbors complained to the city and they sent
a code inspector out and told us we had to stop doing it. I said
this is temporary

I wrote my state epa asking codes that effect using washer rinse water
for watering the yard. They gave me a reply that matches what you
got, don't do it. Read as I match up what I received to your post.

and if I were to wash my car there it will have the same effect. She

No not the same, laundry water its typically contaiminated with human
fecal/body waste bacteria, unlike your car I HOPE.

couldn't quote me any specific violation but told me I have to stop
immediately.

Code violation I could have faced was discharge of untreated human
waste. The lady from the state referenced many pa waste water laws,
that referenced the safety of laundry grey water, and one researcher
commented how laundry water is always contaiminated with fecal waste
bacteria, more often than the house hold toliet.

Any there usually regulations against soapy water discharge from
properties?

No regs for just soapy water, since soapy water is a natural
insectiside and rocommended, but as posted up top, you water contains
more than soap.

There would be regs for soapy water from washing a car in some
watersheds.

I asked her if I have a big tub in my back yard and wash the clothes
by hand and then pour the tub's water out later will it be legal
then, she said that "might" be acceptable. I don't understand...

"might" will get you a ticket. If a cop says something might be
lawful, and you do it and get ticketed, you will have no defense
saying a cop said, "it might be lawful".

hth,

tom

--
Joseph Meehan