Tim S

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:46:48 +0000, John Woodhall wrote:

"therebel" wrote in message
I am considering using kitchen grade laminate flooring on my kitchen
floor.
the run would only be about 12 ft long by about 6 ft. is it really
necessary
to leave a 10mm gap around the edges for such a small area?

Yes, or you "will" have a big bump in the middle when it gets hot.

I would agree on leaving the 10mm gap at opposing ends of the 12ft run,
but you can obviously halve the gap to 5mm at the other 2 sides. It is
safe to assume expansion will be proportional to length in any direction.

Or heat the room to the hottest it *could* ever get in the wildest
fanstansies of summer allowing extra for the room being sunbaked with the
windows closed (say 40C) and lay the material with no gap - but that would
be sweaty work ;-

Tim