Tony Hwang

Dick wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:55:25 -0500, "orangetrader"
wrote:

While I am contemplating how to fix the drain problem with our washer, I
have connected the washer to a flex tube and discharge the laundry water out
the garage. The water runs across the back yard's concrete paver and end up
ponding a little in the back alley.

Apparently one of our neighbors complained to the city and they sent a code
inspector out and told us we had to stop doing it. I said this is temporary
and if I were to wash my car there it will have the same effect. She
couldn't quote me any specific violation but told me I have to stop
immediately.

Any there usually regulations against soapy water discharge from properties?
I asked her if I have a big tub in my back yard and wash the clothes by hand
and then pour the tub's water out later will it be legal then, she said that
"might" be acceptable. I don't understand...

It would depend completely upon where you live, but here in Arizona it
is legal to install a gray water system. You can read the highlights
of the regulation here. Click on the Using Gray Water at Home link.
http://az.gov/webapp/portal/SearchSe...+water&x=0&y=0

Some of the primary considerations a (1) You must contain the water
within your own property; (2) It cannot pool where humans can walk in
it; (3) It must have a diverter valve where the water can be diverted
back into the septic/sewer system if there is a problem; (4) It can
only be used for irrigation; (5) Can only be used for bathroom
sinks/shower/tub and laundry. Cannot be used for kitchen sink or dish
washer because of the presence of food particles. Cannot be used for
laundry if diapers or similar is washed in it.

In your case, if you were in Arizona, you would be in trouble because
of the water leaving your property and also pooling.

Dick

Hi,
AZ is water hungry place. They would treat water with more respect!
Tony