N. Thornton

Default D.I.Y. CU ..?

T i m wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:34:25 GMT, (Lurch)
wrote:

'Doing stuff up' can be both a pain and a pleasure. I found a cycle
in a ditch (in a sorry state) when I was 12, handed it in to the
Police station and 6 weeks later it was mine ;-) Four weeks after that
I had rebuilt it and was cycling it around the South Downs with the
School cycle club. My Mum and Dad *might* of bought me a bike if I had
asked but I never thought to and got a lot of pleasure doing up then
riding this one for the next 4 years. Then I bought a Moped off my
school teacher for a fiver with a stripped spark plug .. repaired that
and rode it for the next 8 months till I was given another moped (NSU
'Quickly') in a wheelbarrow ..... then there was the Messerschmitt and
the Morris Minor van for 15 quid and another 5 quid for the gearbox I
fitted at night, in the car-park, in the rain .. etc .. ;-)

I find that by buying something that has been 'neglected' I learn much
more about that thing when restoring it than anything I might buy new
and running?

I like doing stuff up too. Its much more satisfying, and one
(sometimes) ends up with something of far better quality. And
sometimes not. Certainly done a few memorable things along the way.

p.s. What about the wooden, live and neutral fused CU I just took out
of my Dad's workshop .. I don't suppose that had a BS stamp?

both poles fused... BS1 maybe? BSes do go back a long way, lots of
round pin stuff was BSed, BS415 IIRC.

Regards, NT