Paul Barker Paul Barker is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rumm
Andy Kaye wrote:

I need to change my boiler as it is now very old. I see that from
April 2005 it will be necessary to fit a condensing boiler.

I want to get away with as little change to the pumped CH and geavity
HW system that is currently in the house.

You will need to get away from the gravity HW and go fully pumped...

I will need a standard flue kit. My existing flue is balanced so must
I put in a flue stack up to roof level and does it have to be
insulated etc.?

There is no reason it has to go up to the roof. Where (and at what
height) does it currently exit?

Can I have an open vented pumped CH system and gravity HW with a
condensing boiler?

Why would you want to? conversion to a fully pumped sealed system is
pretty straight forward.

What other changes might I have to make?

You ought to bring the controls up to standard, so a stat on the HW
cylinder, and room stat plus thermostatic rad valves elsewhere if not
already fitted.

Depending on the state of the rads and pipework, it may or may not take
well to being pressurised.

--
Cheers,

John.

But you don't have to have a pressurised system, you can buy condensing regular boilers. I'll be fitting a regular condensing boiler open vent with open vent dhwc this week as a new installation, because it is a holliday flat so the frequent changes of user don't have to be educated about filling loops. Open vent systems though hasstle for the installer (particulalry if he designs his pipe runs badly) are more user friendly.

On this post don't forget all the above plus with a major change like upgrading the boiler the cylinder has to conform to part L 2002 also, so that undoubtedly needs changing.

Of course you can apply for exemption from Part L, say for instance you are 95 years of age and don't expect to live long enough to benefit from the extra capital cost.

Costs?

Very high quality condensing regular boiler (and horizontal flue) with 5 year manufacturer's parts and labour guarantee 800 gbp.

DHW Cylinder
141 gbp

S Plan (because it's the best) CH control system (includes everything you need) 76 gbp and a new pump 65 gbp.

TRV's from BBQ 5 gbp each

Pipework and fittings 200 gbp

cleanser and inhibitor 28 gbp

REmoval disposal of old boiler and cylinder? 200 gbp.

Labour two days for a quality heating engineer and his side kick; 800 gbp.

Extras? You may need new header tanks.