jmasters jmasters is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
If you were looking for a technician's job, how and where would you
look? We have advertised in the classifieds for weeks, several times
during the last year, trying to find someone to help us with
televisions and audio gear. Response has been disappointing.

There are no schools in our area teaching the skills we need. Does
anyone have suggestions on how we could find someone to fill our
position?

Thanks,
Doug

You may want to evaluate whether your requirements listed in the ad's were too restrictive (in terms of pay, hours required to work, necessary skill set, etc) or evaluate whether the skillset you want can be instilled in anybody with a modicum of interest in that kind of work.

You might also want to check with local high school instructors to see if there are students who are good at that kind of work who might be interested and trainable. Yes, that might require a bit more help on your end, but many schools (at least where I'm at) have dropped vocational programs, and the economics suggest (to me anyway) that electronics repair is dwindling. I have a 2 year degree in electronics repair (digital area, not so much analog as in radio's, amplifiers, etc) and did cryptographic repair in the military for 4 years. The degree was acquired approx 15 years ago, and the writing was on the wall back then, which is why I chose the digital track and then continued on with Computer Science degree work.

Some other suggestions might be to see if there are local military bases with electronic repair shops nearby, with people who might be willing to make some extra money. Then there are other shops - if you offer better compensation, training opportunities, benefits, etc. You might be able to score. Try leaving cards in nearby sandwich shop bulletin boards.

I'd also look in the phonebook for copier or appliance repair shops (supply houses might work too) and see if they can recommend some good people they've seen around. FWIW, it seems that the emphasis of late towards preparing kids to go on to academic careers in college (and the lack of funding for voc-ed programs) as well as the fast-paced move towards extremely high density/complexity (and disposably priced) electronics has removed a lot of economic incentives for continue work in this area.

You may also want to consider contacting local college career centers to see if you can place advertisements on their bullletin boards to see if you can't score on any students who are retraining (away from prior electronic tech jobs) and could use some extra money. Or if there are technical schools in the area (not necessarily electronics, but more "technical" in nature where people might be training for another line of work)

Check dice.com and monster.com for resumes and see if you can find any local resumes for technical people with keywords like "electronic", "repair", "television", "audio" or "radio".

If you want to find people for this type of work, you won't usually find them via a newspaper ad. Check out local Ham/Computer swap meets, be willing to ask around. When you find someone, get references. Don't be overly rigorous. You want to find someone who's good, unless you're not willing to pay for good techs. And that needs to be evaluated as well. And you need to be sensitive as to whether or not your shop has a good reputation for employment. A number of dealerships around here can't seem to find good tech's, but they treat their techs like dirt, and word gets around.

One other idea that just came to mind would be any local electronic parts stores. We have a couple of places in town, some of them are high priced salvage shops, but they bring in people who rummage the bins for electronics parts, and those types of people know how to find their way around repair work/circuit boards.

And it would be helpful if you'd put your locality, as there might be someone here on this forum that might be looking for extra/new work.

Good luck!

Justin