willshak

On 2/24/2005 6:21 PM US(ET), JM took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Our 1989 built-in microwave stopped working, so I bought a replacement. The
problem is that the old microwave was huge, and the cutout requirement for
the new microwave/trim kit is 3" smaller in height than the existing hole.

The trim kit specs 15 3/4", the existing hole is 18 1/2".

Any ideas on how to fill the gap? Should I try to match the wood stain, or
am I better off using a contrasting material? I don't have a lot of money
to spend here, that's why I'm trying to do this myself. Any ideas and
suggestions appreciated.

A picture so you can get an idea of the cabinet material/color:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdmcahren/microwave.jpg

Thanks!

I had a similar problem. I replaced a hugh 20 year old built-in Kenmore
MW with a newer smaller GE unit. I looked around to get the largest size
I could find that would fit without too much alterations, and this was
the largest I could find that would fit. I didn't have as great a size
difference as you have there, so I just put 2x4 pieces under the new MW
to center it in the hole and used plastic trim moulding to frame out the
gap. The oak trim color is a little redder than the cabinets, but who
knows how long the MW will last. This unit will slide right out without
having to remove the moulding.
http://www.willshak.com/DCP_0629.jpg

--
Bill