larry g

Actually Wayne I'm the proud owner of a POS Hz mill. It seems to have
controls all around it, but the main drivers position is in the front.
This machine in the picture I looked and saw that if running the vertical
head that to set the Y position your on the wrong end of the machine to see.
I've no doubt that it is a good machine and I would not refuse it if it came
my way, I just soured on the Swiss/French mace machines that I have had to
work on in the past.
lg
no neat sig line
"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:29:53 -0800, "larry g"
wrote:

It looks to me like a fiddly machine to run. Why put the Y axis
adjustment
on the back of the machine? Or in other words why put the main machine
between the operator and the adjustment and what he's trying to see to
adjust? It's MY prejudice but the Swiss machines that I have had to keep
running are not built with ergonomics in mind, and they take a lot of
adjusting to keep them going. Its a different mind set I guess. We have
assembly lines custom made in Chicago and Switzerland. The Chicago
machine
does with ten parts what the Swiss machine does with 35 small parts. The
Swiss machines are constantly needing attention to keep running, while the
Chicago machine just keeps rolling along.
lg

Based on this statement I'd hazard to guess that you've never ran a
horizontal mill.

Based on the pics I'd say that this mill is designed to be ran in
horizontal mode primarily with the vertical feature just being a
bonus. The most comfortable position to run a horizontal mill is just
behind the table next to the column. This way you can see what you're
doing. Cincinnati horizontal mills have controls both on the front and
on the side because of this. It's also the only real shortcoming to my
Abene milling machine. The controls are only in the front which is
problematic since I run it in horizontal mode more than I do vertical.
I guess it's a training thing but I find horizontal mode easier to
setup and use for most of my milling.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook