effi

"James Madison III" wrote in message
I'm about to extend my backyard wood privacy fence. The fence now stops
at
the back of the house. I want to extend it 20 feet going towards the
street.

Since there is no old fence on the 20 feet of yard I'll be working on, I
need to make sure where the property line is. I have the diagram from the
1993 survey which says there are iron rods in place.

Do you think I'm safe to just find the rod myself and pull a string tight
between it and the last post on the old fence?

Or should I pay for a survey? I've heard that you can get a survey a
little
cheaper by calling the original survey company and just have them do an
update.

assuming your property is adjacent to another property owner's land:

you could build it without the other property owner's permission but if you
do so you will pay for the entire fence, if you build it right on the
property line the neighbor coul contest it, if you build it right inside the
property line on your side and it ever needs replacing you pay 100% for
replacement,

otherwise you both agree to pay 1/2 and agree on the kind of fence

survey update for fence line would be a good idea, neighbor could split the
cost of that too