Andy Hall

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:03:34 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Andy Hall am typed:

snip
I haven't said that my purchase criteria are appropriate for
everybody

Great we are at getting somewhere,

We always were.

there are people on here that use tools
for a living or are into serious house renovation, clearly for them a £40
jcb is a joke tool which probably would not last the day/week out.

Absolutely.

There are others that for whatever reason buy a battery drill to hang some
shelves and then leave the drill flat and in the garage for 18 months and
are disappointed that the batteries are now dead, ( my son-in-law a DeWALT)
for them the JCB thing could be appropriate,. And various other in-between
people were the quality of the tool should be matched to its use, and the
size of their pocket.

There is a spectrum, as you say. I have not suggested that one size
fits all.

I have pointed out that total cost of use and ownership goes beyond
purchase price and that it would be advisable to look at the whole
picture. Then it's reasonable to decide which pieces of the picture
are important.

What I really disagree with is your inference that
You cant drill a round hole in the correct place or
Can't cut a straight mitre line twice

I haven't said that at all. However, if one wants to drill 500 holes
and put in 500 screws (and that is possible in a DIY project) then
usability and quality can become important.

Using anything other then professional/industrial quality tools, and anyone
that does, must produce a lower quality job then you.

Depending on the type of tool and the application, that can certainly
be the case. There are certainly examples such as planes, biscuit
jointers, jig saws and so on where it absolutely is.

But then go on to suggest that you can drill holes in masonry with a
non-hammer battery drill ;-(

.... and so you can. It is perfectly possible to drill holes in
breeze blocks and non engineering bricks with a good quality non
hammer battery drill.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl