Andy Hall

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:45:34 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:02:36 +0000, Capitol
In order to achieve all of these points, I want to use good quality
tools and materials that are going to be pleasurable to use all day if
needed, and that will produce a good quality result when used
properly. I don't want to waste time having to go and wait in
queues at DIY stores

well don't go on Wednesdays....

I prefer not to go on *any* day.

Exactly. That means looking at *all* of the issues and not just the
price. That is the point of buying intelligently and not just on
price and scam warranties.

They are not scam warranties.

They are exactly a scam, calculated to a compromise between what is
sufficiently attractive for the nervous or gullible on the one hand,
what the store can negotiate with the vendor on the other in terms of
returns and the cost of operating the exchanges.

No thought whatever is given to what happens at month 37, any form of
support or any form of spares.

Just try getting the Miele you purchased from an electrical
retailer repaired FOC after 1 year.

There is absolutely no issue with that. Even though the law is
arranged around responsibility of the retailer, there are 5 or 10 year
manufacturer's warranties.

In the unlikely event of any issue, you call the service number in
Abingdon and give them the machine serial number or your postcode.
They already have details on their system. You can choose the day
for a service call and a 2 hour time slot. You can call their service
line after 1800 on the day before the call and receive the expected
time of the engineer visit. On the day of the visit, the engineer
will call as he leaves his previous customer to give an ETA.

All is done free of charge within the warranty.

Now you were saying......

Product law is too ambiguous to
guarantee that is a trivial excercise. As you are well aware it's the
retailer that implements the Sale of Goods requirements. Its probably
necessary at least to threaten and probably invoke consumer law, in itself a
time consuming process.

I seldom have difficulty after an appropriate discussion with somebody
of authority at the retailer. If there is any inconvenience or time
wasting, compensation is normally forthcoming as well.

Its not just you that thinks time is important.

Good. It is an important factor.

I'm prepared to recognise there may me some quality in the Miele, but in
most electrical retailers? Pull the other one.

Quite. This is the reason to choose manufacturer and retailer
carefully and appropriately

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl