Colbyt

"JM" wrote in message ...
Our 1989 built-in microwave stopped working, so I bought a replacement.

The
problem is that the old microwave was huge, and the cutout requirement for
the new microwave/trim kit is 3" smaller in height than the existing hole.

The trim kit specs 15 3/4", the existing hole is 18 1/2".

Any ideas on how to fill the gap? Should I try to match the wood stain,

or
am I better off using a contrasting material? I don't have a lot of money
to spend here, that's why I'm trying to do this myself. Any ideas and
suggestions appreciated.

A picture so you can get an idea of the cabinet material/color:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdmcahren/microwave.jpg

Thanks!

If that is the new MW, you have more than 3" to worry about.

Build a box out of plywood that the new MW can sit on to center it
vertically in the opening. The depth of the box should be no larger than the
interior front to back measurement of the existing shelf. Then buy some oak
filler strips and rip them down attaching to the top, bottom and sides of
the existing cabinet to create the new net size you need. The bottom filler
strip should be level with the top of the box that you built.

If you can't match the oak color you could use black or any other color you
choose.

Colbyt