chester

Rich wrote:

I will add if you go with Hardibacker it will be a firm base. That is about
the hardest material I have ever worked with. I put down the 1/4 inch
stuff. I planned to use self-tapping screws. They wouldn't tap. If I
wanted to use them I would have had to do countersinks. Instead I went with
what a guy at Home Depot recommended and that was putting down galvanized
roofing nails (1 5/8"?). With one of them every six inches in every
direction that backer board isn't going anywhere. The only problem is that
you raise the floor another 1/4 inch for a total over 1/2 inch. You may
have to trim some doors.

Yeah you need a really powerful powerdriver (18V) to get those screws
in. Even then it's a bitch. I used the nails (as well as screws), with
good result, although I would warn any user that on a wall, pounding
those nails in can be quite an intense assult on any opposing wall-like
if the wall you are installing on sits opposite a room/hallway wall. I
had to resink some old drywall anils, and then remud.