Rich

wrote in message
oups.com...
What website said this was OK? I
would never do such a thing (even with a mastic).
Just because a contractor does it, does not mean
it's OK. My guess is your neighbor will be having his
tiles come loose also.

What benefit did you expect to realize? As you found out
the linolium is not a good surface to bond to and being the
anal type, I dont like another bond between my tile and
structually sound material

I will add if you go with Hardibacker it will be a firm base. That is about
the hardest material I have ever worked with. I put down the 1/4 inch
stuff. I planned to use self-tapping screws. They wouldn't tap. If I
wanted to use them I would have had to do countersinks. Instead I went with
what a guy at Home Depot recommended and that was putting down galvanized
roofing nails (1 5/8"?). With one of them every six inches in every
direction that backer board isn't going anywhere. The only problem is that
you raise the floor another 1/4 inch for a total over 1/2 inch. You may
have to trim some doors.