Peter Parry

Default Advice to remove a "threaded" allen key screw

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:32:01 +0100, Dan Gravell
wrote:

I'm pretty sure even if I flattened it it would not work, the screw is
more or less circular inside now, and the key itself seems very soft as
that has also warped slightly.

Unless you have tried really hard there is a good chance there are
some lands (flat bits) left. Try getting a set of both imperial and
metric allan keys (usually supplied on a ring or holder) from the
likes of B&Q and get a sheet of fairly fine abrasive paper. (I'd
guess it will be metric). Find the key you really need - you have
been given the wrong one as hex screws don't round off normally.
Put the abrasive paper on a sheet of glass or other very hard flat
surface and hold the hex key perpendicular. Rub the end on the
abrasive paper in a circular motion while holding it perpendicular.
You should quickly end up with a nice flat end at right angles to the
hex key and with good well defined sharp edges - a bit like the blunt
end of a pencil.

Spray some WD40 into the damaged hex stud and leave for 6 hours.

Carefully align the key with the worn plug and gently tap it into
place. If you have room have one person tapping the key while
another tries to turn it, if you don't then press into the key as you
are turning it. If you get exactly the right size key there is a
good chance this will work.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/