DJ

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:46:24 GMT, wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:24:30 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

Not likely that the tiles will crack but the grout will. Why? Because
the tiles are moving? Why? Because the tiles aren't well bedded and
thinset won't stick to the lino/vinyl. You should have bedded them with
mastic instead of thinset. Either that or put down - and mechanically
fastened - cement board on top of the lino/vinyl.

Rip up what you did and do it right.

What's the difference between mastic and thinset? Also, if I install
the orange Shuluter sheet on the other half of the bathroom, would it
help to eliminate the problem? Thanks.

Think of the mastic as "glue", aka "tile adhesive". Think of thinset
as "mortar", (as in bricks & mortar) or similar to concrete without
the aggregate (rock/stone) and a finer sand in the mix.

Try this experiment: take a small blob of your thinset mix and place
it on the surface of the vinyl. Let it dry completely then see how
much it really adhered to the surface. My guess is not much. Next, try
roughing up the vinyl surface first, see if you gain any adhesion.

Even if it does "fasten" the tile to it, some vinyl is fairly soft and
"cushy", comfortable under foot but not necessarily a good base on
which to secure tile. Tile, probably more than most types of flooring,
needs a rigid base, once it starts moving it will crack the grout
lines first and then the tiles themselves will crack and/or become
loose if there is enough movement.

I am but a home handyman these days, although in the past I've worked
in the construction trades (plumbing, electrical,
landscape/fence/sprinkler, general remodeling). I've done several tile
jobs for myself including floors, counters, backsplash, bath/shower
surrounds.

If this were my job and I cared about it's quality and longevity, I'd
do as others have suggested, tear up the already intalle d tile and
lay down a proper base. At the very least I'd use mastic after
scuffing off the shiny top layer of the vinyl. If it is brand new and
is already making noise from movement, how long do you think it will
be until total failure?

DJ