Rich

wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:24:30 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

Not likely that the tiles will crack but the grout will. Why? Because
the tiles are moving? Why? Because the tiles aren't well bedded and
thinset won't stick to the lino/vinyl. You should have bedded them with
mastic instead of thinset. Either that or put down - and mechanically
fastened - cement board on top of the lino/vinyl.

Rip up what you did and do it right.

What's the difference between mastic and thinset? Also, if I install
the orange Shuluter sheet on the other half of the bathroom, would it
help to eliminate the problem? Thanks.

Do what others recommend. Pull up everything. I would pull up the lino
too. Then put down a backer board such as Hardibacker. I had contractors
say they could lay over lino but my experience is that you will eventually
have troubles.

My daughter bought a house that had a new ceramic over lino in the kitchen.
It was about 10 years after they moved in that one of the kids dropped
something heavy and cracked a tile. When they started to clean up the
broken tile the ones around it came loose too. To fix it they first had to
be very careful not to dislodge nearby tile. Then they had to relay about a
dozen tile.

After putting down my floor over Hardibacker I wanted to replace one of the
tile that had a little chip in it. I had to use a heavy chisel and mallet
to get it loose.

Bottom line is that you can get away laying on lino but eventually it will
come loose. Now if you want a floor that can be easily removed 5 or 10
years from now I suppose over lino would be the way.