Kaiser

"Lobster" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:18:18 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

I'm (still) in the market for a new cordless combi drill, and am coming
close to settling for an Erbauer, based on a combination of price vs
quality (as judged from uk.d-i-y reviews!)

I'm puzzled that the 14.4V model is priced 20 quid cheaper than the 18V
model, in the absence of any apparent special offers:

14.4V (100 GBP)

18V (80 GBP)

The 18V one seems to outperform the 14.V in every aspect but weight
(2.6kg vs 2.0kg) - is that the issue? or am I missing the obvious?

Oh dear - not only have I started yet another 'which drill?' thread; I've
kicked off another IMM vs .andy duel.... :-)

Don't buy either of these. You can get a Makita 14.4v 6228 with two
batteries for the same or little more money and have far better
results than with either of these unknown products.

I'd definitely really like a Makita; certainly money no object I'd
certainly go for one. Appreciate all the 'economy in the long run'
arguments, but I can't justify the outlay. One reason is risk of loss - I
often use my stuff away from home, carry it around in the car etc and
wouldn't be covered by insurance against theft.

I agree the 6228 is within my budget; however my drill will need to deal
with some masonry work, so I want hammer action which is why I'd
discounted it - I'd be looking at the Makita 8433, at 235 GBP or
thereabouts?

I've never used either a Makita or Erbauer personally: Andy, do you really
reckon the Makita 6228 will give "better results" than a hammer action 18V
Erbauer? (ie nothing to do with reliability or spares availability)?

David

I borrowed a 12V Makita 8411 from a friend a few years ago when we moved
house, as most of my tools were inaccessible. I was very impressed with the
hammer action and the torque for a 12volt drill.

I have used cheap battery drills like the Erbauer in the past and there is
just no comparison, batteries don't hold their charge as long, the trigger
switches don't operate smoothly, the chucks are rubbish and a good 12v drill
always seems to have more guts than a cheap 18v drill.

In fact if you look at this site, they have a 24v drill that looks identical
(apart from the colour) to the 24v Erbauer for under 50quid.
https://sslrelay.com/s83207888.onean...dex.shopscript