Cuprager

Holly, in France wrote:

Cuprager wrote in message ...

Holly, in France wrote:

Cuprager wrote in message

DONT BREAK THE CORNER OFF TO HAVE A
LOOK !!! Utter stupidity.

How do you think analysts take samples?

They take them by vacuum sealing around the sample area,
and use a suction system...

Serious question this. How exactly do they get a sample by suction? I
imagine they must use some other tool within their sealed area?

Exact details of equipment specs etc i dont know, im just passing on
what the sampler told me... i am a nosy sort that likes to know what is
going on!

my workplace has just been
sampled, more than 9000 samples taken like this.

Fair enough, if that is the case, times and methods have changed.

Do you think that someone who works in the
asbestos industry would be breaking apart material that
they do not know to 'see' if there is asbestos there?

That is exactly how it was done up until a few years ago. Analysts wore
suits and masks of course, but an air test taken in an area where one
small piece of amosite board were sampled would be very unlikely to find
any significant levels of fibres in the air. I'm not suggesting people
should go around doing it all the time, but taking one sample, once,
carefully, is acceptable IMO.

To quote your earlier post...

"You could carefully break off a small corner and look
at it closely. If you can see fibers I think it would be worth getting
it tested by your local authority"

You didnt mention anything to the op about suits and masks.

Have you ever heard of corporate
liability?

Of course, see my recent reply to Peter Parry in another thread.

Would you ask an employee to identify it like this????

With a suit and mask, possibly, depending on current legislation and
guidelines.

Why didnt you mention this to the op then? The consequences are a little
more frightening than giving bum plumbing advice etc!

If it was asb then it is not
identifiable by eye...

It can be perfectly visible by eye. Positive identification requires

microscope.

the fibres are 100x 'thinner' than a human hair.

Have you ever seen any? They vary. The larger 'fibres' are smaller
fibres clumped together.

These comments frighten me.

I am astounded by yours too. I now see exactly what PP means in some of
his posts.

You are astounded by what? Me urging the OP to treat asbestos with the
respect that it deserves? I think that your comments are reckless and
dangerous and put into practice they could harm peoples health.

I hope for the sake of you and those around you
that havent tried out your theory too many times!

Which bit of it exactly? Sampling I have always done by carefully
breaking or cutting pieces off, with suit and mask etc,

Again you now mention suit and mask.

as did hundreds
of people when that was the recognised way to do it. Same for the
analysis, visual inspection in a 'fume' cupboard, followed by
microscopic analysis.

Not picking on you but what if the op had broke apart the board going by
your advice, had a good look to see if there were fibers there, maybe
passed the bit of board to his wife who had the kids at her feet to have
a look... not a nice thought, is it?

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,