Magician

Andy

To my mind the power tool market has split into three groups; top brand
manufacturers - Bosch, Metabo, Makita, Hitachi etc, cheap & cheerfull;
Power Devil, JCB, Performance Power, Nu Tool etc. But the third group
is those stand alone or own label tools like B&Q Performance Pro,
Ryobi, Kress (Wickes), Excel (Homebase) etc.

These are often very good quality and carry a three year warranty,
making the spares issue redundant. We live in a replacement society
because, as you say, time is expensive.

Given that anyones time is expensive, it doesn't matter if you repair
something yourself or pay someone else to do it - you are going
backwards as soon as you start. Labour rates for repairing power tools
are upwards of =A330 per hour in my part of the world. Add a few parts
and the time taken to get it there, plus the loss of use and
replacement is much more cost effective.

Are you also suggesting that cheaper (not cheapest) tools are incapable
of doing a decent job? If I put up a few shelves, is the result any
different if I use a =A350 drill driver or a =A3200 one?

I'd also add that the volume retailers you critisise so much have
brought down the price of the top brand power tools you prefer. Were
those top brands maintaining a brand or ripping people off?

Dave