Edwin Pawlowski

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Don't be suprised if the new ones use less. I got rid of an old 10 cu. ft
fridge and replaced it with a new 18 cu. ft. frost free and my electric
bill went down $10 a month. It has a nameplate rating of 4.75 A The
kitchen fridge has a Full Load rating of 6.5A for a 21 Cu. ft. side by
side.

New units of the same size may use less electricity, but many of the new
ones are much larger and have way more features that older models which I
expect would offset any increased efficiency. Certainly your 4.76 and
6.5A ratings are larger than mine. BTW, my figures came off the circuit
page for the frig.

OK, the refrigerator I mentioned before was not 10 cu. ft, but 7.2. We have
it at work and I just checked the tag. It says I takes 5.5A. It has such
luxury features as a lightbulb inside. The freezer is inside the main door,
not a two door model.

The new 18 cu. ft. takes 4.5A and is frons free so a defrost cycle must run
as well as a fan. Two and a half times more in size, more features, less
power. The missing factor is how many hours they run to maintain the same
temperature, but as I said, my electrri bill went down $10 a month.
Improved compressor design, better insualtion, better door seals all make a
difference.