Barry Lennox

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:55:00 -0500, Chuck Harris
wrote:

James Sweet wrote:

The whole Lead issue is a hot button in the electronic industry. It
started in Europe, and has spread. Essentially, the mandate is out to
get the lead out of solder in the manufacturing process. I really don't
quite know how this is going to affect the service industry yet. I still
have my trusty 60/40 Kester next to the bench. Sometime in the future i
might have to have separate solder pencils for non leaded solder,
special solder, and a method to ID what it is. Time will tell.

Bob

I never have had much luck with lead free solder, never seems to make good
joints.

One wonders how many Printed Circuit Board
equivalents of lead one improperly discarded
automotive battery contains?

My guess would be thousands of circuit cards worth
of lead.

How many car batteries are out there?

A good point, this Lead free is so much BS driven by the nutters. IF
lead solvency is such a big problem, what about lead in car wheel
weights, every time it rains, it washes over the weights then straight
into the waste water system. And many many roofs in Europe, the rain
washes over the lead sheathing then into the waste water.

And lead water distribution pipes in much of the UK.

There's precious little evidence its a problem. It's just the stupid
EU has this "precautionary principle" enshrined that more or less
states that if you think something may be a problem ,you should act,
even although there is no evidence to support it.

Barry Lennox