Andy Hall

On 23 Feb 2005 02:26:22 -0800, "Magician"
wrote:

Andy, with respect, you are missing the plot completely.

I am not missing the plot at all. I may have a different plot and
set of criteria to others but both are equally valid.

First of all, cheaper power tools are fine for many applications.
Horses for courses.

Precisely. It depends on the application and the quality of the
outcome that you are looking for. It also depends on how you cost
your time and what you are willing to accept in terms of ease of use,
productivity and outcome. Personally I value time expensively and
don't want to waste it titting around with cheap tools. I also want
to get work done accurately, and with good control and use of the
tool. Sorry but these do not come with unbranded catalogue and DIY
store products.

If your type of work is occasionally to put up a few shelves and be
reasonably happy with any reasonable outcome, you have copious spare
time and capital cost is the most important issue, certainly go ahead
and buy the cheapest. It will do *a* job. Personally, I don't find
that standard of work acceptable. I can easily do better, but it's a
quality and time issue for me with cost effectiveness (not cost) as a
very important factor.

I've always wanted a biscuit joiner, but for many years they have been
completely outside of my price range as a serious DIYer. Now they
arent, I can justify spending £40 on one. Wouldn't last the week out
in a joinery shop, but it will give me years of service.

That's probably true. I do a fair amount of biscuit joinery. I
began by buying a DeWalt 682. It isn't good enough because there is
a design fault whereby the fence is permanently 2-3 degrees out of
square. It went back. I have a Lamello. Why? Because it does a
precise job every time. I can get the spares whenever I need them and
it will most likely last beyond my lifetime.

Secondly, there is a huge difference between 'cheaply made' and 'made
cheaply'.

If there is no spares backup, no service and the name changes every
three months you are dealing with a warehousing and distribution
operation, not a proper manufacturer.

There is nothing wrong with making something to a price point as long
as this doesn't compromise the precision, usability, quality and
outcome. Outcome includes service, spares and backup in terms of my
purchasing criteria. If the product doesn't have that, then to me
it's largely worthless.

For years the big boys in power tools have made huge margins and with
huge margins come huge expenses.

Yes of course. Running a brand with proper service isn't cheap.

I don't think that replacing it with a throw away mentality is the
right answer. That is motivated by a throw away society where
retailers want to sell you a replacement.

Sales meetings in Spain, top of the
range company cars, hospitality etc. Now the big boys operate in the
real world and watch costs like a hawk.

As they should, but there is nothing wrong with proper brand
maintenance and service. If cost cutting is to meet the wants of the
large retailers then the fault lies with the retailers and frankly
with a subset of customers who think they should be able to get
something for nothing.

Sorry but I don't play the volume warehouse throw away game.

Manufacturing techniques have also changed, JIT, L.E.A.N. etc.
Structural plastics have arrived.

I work for a multi national equipment manufacturer. In the last 5
years we have turned to L.E.A.N. manufacturing, outsourcing non
critical components to eastern Europe, use of advanced moulding
techniques etc. Our costs & prices have dropped by 30% - quality has
improved overall.

That's a good achievement. As long as you haven't prostituted your
organisation to the large retailers and have maintained a quality
position and service to your customers, I think that you can have a
bright future. On the other hand, if you are dancing to the tune of
B&Q, Screwfix, Home Depot and all the rest, what will you use to
differentiate yourselves from the volume factories in China?

it's ultimately an issue of understanding your market and your
customer. Obviously if you feel that that is through the volume
retailers, fine. There is another way.....

Dave

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl