Lurch

Default D.I.Y. CU ..?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:51:12 +0100, in uk.d-i-y T i m
strung together this:

So, I can make some new busbars on the bandsaw (if needed) out of
some suitable brass (?) sheet, once I know a std MCB will fit
reasonably.

For what a new busbar costs, I'd buy a new one. I seem to think I
posted some catalogue numbers for the Hager busbar, which will fit, in
a previous thread of yours.

I could even fabricate / machine the lower 'rail' from a strip of
steel and fix it on to of the existing backplate to clip the modern
modules onto? I've a new MK MCB spare somewhere so I'll see how it
fits.

Again, din rail is cheap enough to buy. Not worth messing about making
your own.

I believe the construction of most CU's I've seen is pretty crude and
as long as I abide by the current plan (split neutral etc) and as long
as it's done sensibly it might make an interesting mini project (for a
DIY'r) ;-)

If you really must, personally I don't think it's worth all the
hassle. One thing to bear in mind, if you start making your own
components the unit won't be to the relevant BS. Insurance companies
like this because it can be their getout clause.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.