Peter

"inNeedofHelp" wrote in message
m...
Andy Wade wrote in message

inNeedofHelp wrote:

My new Single Electric Oven (2.35Kw) states it should be connected to
a 13A FCU spur. If it can be connected to a 13A FCU could you just add
a 13A plug to it and plug it into a socket?

Yes you could, but watch the total loading on the ring, or whatever
other circuit is feeding your kitchen. Also bear in mind that the max.
ambient temperature for 13 A plugs & sockets is supposed to be 30 deg. C
so avoid using plugs in in hot spots such as behind a built-in

appliance.

Sure, we will have 2 rings supply to supply the kitchen, so loading on
ring is OK. Socket will go in cabinet next to oven as current one is.
Does not get overly hot in there, so again, that will be ok.

Cool, think I will go with plug route, be neater, and easier

Why does the FCU need to be a spurred FCU?

'Spur' 'spur unit' or 'spur box' are alternative names for an FCU. It
doesn't mean that the FCU can't be connected directly into a ring
circuit - clearly it can be.

Finally, if I have a single 13A plug socket, could I just run a short
spur from that and place my 13A FCU spur next to that socket?

Yes.

An oven is a fixed appliance and as such should be connected via a switched
fused spur, socket outlets are for portable appliances if it was designed to
be on a 13a plugtop it would have to be supplied with one fitted.

Peter