T i m

Default D.I.Y. CU ..?

Hi all,

I recently bought (eBay, cheap) an old but unused, neat, little 8 way
metalclad mini CU (the make looks like a squirly 'G E' ?) with the
thought to using it in my workshop as a split CU (lights / ring).

It came with an 80A 30mA RCD on what looks like a 'half rail' type
mounting system (the module clips over the top of the rail and is held
down onto / by the busbar).

I was thinking for my 8 module spaces .. ..

2 module incomer switch
1 m 16A MCB (32A?) (radial to socket for welder or maybe lathe?)
1 m 6A MCB (lights)
2 m RCD
1 m 32A (ring)
spare

Now I know I could go out and buy something simple (the little 2 way
RCD CU like I recently did for Dad's garage / workshop rewire) but
once you go 'split' the prices seem to go up quite a lot and the boxes
get much bigger (and I fancied 'playing') ;-)

So, I can make some new busbars on the bandsaw (if needed) out of
some suitable brass (?) sheet, once I know a std MCB will fit
reasonably.

I could even fabricate / machine the lower 'rail' from a strip of
steel and fix it on to of the existing backplate to clip the modern
modules onto? I've a new MK MCB spare somewhere so I'll see how it
fits.

I believe the construction of most CU's I've seen is pretty crude and
as long as I abide by the current plan (split neutral etc) and as long
as it's done sensibly it might make an interesting mini project (for a
DIY'r) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m