Mr Fixit eh

Wow, who knew this would generate so many posts!

I goofed in that 120A supply would not be needed. In fact 20A branch
circuit protection in the panel would be adequate. Of course, then it
would defeat the purpose of the device, because the branch circuit
breaker would be tripping continually. In order to have adequate power
for multiple shop tools, you would need to increase the amperage
supplied to the device. The 30A 220V feeder would be a practical
solution, however as was pointed out in a previous post, this would be
non-code-compliant because you would be 'over-fusing' the individual
receptacle wiring in the device.

I still have a problem with the solder-only, non-insulated connections.
If something goes awry and the device's overcurrent protection device
overheats, the solder will melt. You could end up with a hot wire make
contact with a metal box...

I'm assuming this device was part of a UL approved UPS. That's fine so
long as it is in the original unit. Once the device is removed, it is
not UL approved for the new application. The problem is that a DIY
(again, no offence intended--I am one too) may use an inappropriate
device box or mount the device unsafely, or over-fuse the device.

And as far as legal liability, I'm not a lawyer, but if someone's house
burnt down as a result of this device, I'm sure a lawyer would get lots
of mileage out of OP if they had a way to find him/her.

I'm sure the device is worth the asking price of 25$ just for the
component parts, but if anyone does purchase this device, it should be
used for just that--parts.

Mr Fixit eh