mrcheerful

"Steve" wrote in message
. uk...
I have an up & over metal garage door that stays up when I open it most of
the time. The problem is that every now and again it drops down again, by
anything from about 6 inches to 2 or 3 feet. This often happens some time
I have opened it and carried on, happily believing it has decided to stay
open. It's already taken a lump out of the top of my head and it's only a
matter of time before it drops on to the roof of the car as I back it out.
This would not be a good thing.

Its the type that has a large metal spring just above the door, the full
width of the opening. At each side of the door opening is a vertical track
in which a nylon wheel attached to the garage door runs. There is also a
taut wire running from a reel on the end of the big spring to help pull
this wheel up.

The big spring was dry and rusty so I gave it a good soaking in WD40 and
that seemed to improve things for a while, but the problem soon came back.
I've sprayed everything I can see with WD40 but it's still not right. Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Steve

WD40 dries out so won't last very long. The springs get weaker with age,
sometimes you need to give them an extra turn to help the door stay up.