Steve

Default Garage Door Wont Stay Up

I have an up & over metal garage door that stays up when I open it most
of the time. The problem is that every now and again it drops down
again, by anything from about 6 inches to 2 or 3 feet. This often
happens some time I have opened it and carried on, happily believing it
has decided to stay open. It's already taken a lump out of the top of
my head and it's only a matter of time before it drops on to the roof of
the car as I back it out. This would not be a good thing.

Its the type that has a large metal spring just above the door, the full
width of the opening. At each side of the door opening is a vertical
track in which a nylon wheel attached to the garage door runs. There is
also a taut wire running from a reel on the end of the big spring to
help pull this wheel up.

The big spring was dry and rusty so I gave it a good soaking in WD40 and
that seemed to improve things for a while, but the problem soon came
back. I've sprayed everything I can see with WD40 but it's still not
right. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Steve
mrcheerful

"Steve" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

WD40 dries out so won't last very long. The springs get weaker with age,
sometimes you need to give them an extra turn to help the door stay up.

Doctor D

My mother in law is waiting for her damaged garage door to be replaced. In
the meantime I've made her a prop which slips between a notch in the door
and another in the ground to hold it up on windy days.

Tony Williams

In article ,
Steve wrote:
I have an up & over metal garage door that stays up when I open
it most of the time. The problem is that every now and again it
drops down again, by anything from about 6 inches to 2 or 3
feet. This often happens some time I have opened it and carried
on, happily believing it has decided to stay open. It's already
taken a lump out of the top of my head and it's only a matter of
time before it drops on to the roof of the car as I back it out.
This would not be a good thing.

When it is up and horizontal our garage door seems
to be held there more by balance than the springs.
A downwards pull on the bottom edge seems to be
needed to tilt the balance. In which case it might
be worth experimenting with weighting the top edge.

--
Tony Williams.

doozer

Many moons ago (I was a child DIYer) I was fixing just such a garage
door, with my accident prone father, which had exactly the same problem.
I found out first hand just how much power is in the spring when we
slipped while re-attaching the wire to the wheel. The wire became
wrapped around two of my fingers and very nearly pulled them off.
Luckily the wire came free just before it pulled my fingers into the box
containing the spring and I got away with some very painful bruising.

Anyway, we tried adding a couple of extra twists to the spring but it
just broke so we replaced it. I don't remember where we got it from
though. Give it a good coat of grease once you have it in place.

Finally, always work with the door propped fully open. Sounds like a
stupid bit of advice but having the door closed is why I nearly could
only count to 8.

Graham (10 years without a visit to the A&E department and going strong)

Steve wrote:
[...]

Alex

Steve i need the make of door ,from you discription ,it is likly to be a
Henderson or Cardale,but could also be a King door.If it is a king door just
get rid of it they are dangerous to repair.Let me know and i will send you
detailed instructions.Also the age of the door would be helpfull.

Grease is not a good lubicant for door springs and runners as it attracts
dirt and dust.Most manufactures use duck oil,but any quality penatrating oil
with good moisture dispersing properities will do.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:23:08 GMT, Steve
wrote:

[...]

How old is the door and the spring?

If more than about ten years then probably new springs would make
sense.

THis firm has most things and gives helpful advice as well.

http://www.garage-door-spares.co.uk/

I've bought replacements for mine and also helped a neighbour with
his. Springs are not hugely cheap or expensive either, but probably
that's the solution. Worth a phone call at least.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John

wrote:

[...]

They are adjustable - Mine is superbly balanced and well lubricated.
However, they are dangerous to work on. Find the tensioning instructions and
do it a bit at a time. Take care that nothing slips off the sprung shaft
whilst the Allen screw is loose.

--

Regards

John

Steve

Thanks to everybody for the quick and comprehensive range of advice. I
have now oiled the spring with a 3 in 1 type oil and have succesfully
increased the tension on it so that the door (Henderson, by the way
Alex) stays up just fine - long may it last.

To anybody reading this who wonders how you re-tension an 8ft spring
with taut wires attached, I would say the key word is CAREFULLY. I
slipped a couple of times and fortunately got away with a few minor cuts
but I agree with doozer that the potential is certainly there for a
serious injury.

Thanks again.

Steve

Steve wrote:
[...]

Homer2911

Look in Yeller Pages for a door repair company. They
refurbished/retensioned my mechanism for about =A330 some years ago

Steve

I would agree that, unless you are a reasonably confident diy person
(can't say man these days), safety considerations make it worth thinking
about leaving this job to somebody who knows what they are doing.

Homer2911 wrote:
Look in Yeller Pages for a door repair company. They
refurbished/retensioned my mechanism for about �30 some years ago

Steve wrote:
I have an up & over metal garage door that stays up when I open it

most
of the time. The problem is that every now and again it drops down
again, by anything from about 6 inches to 2 or 3 feet. This often
happens some time I have opened it and carried on, happily believing

it
has decided to stay open. It's already taken a lump out of the top

of
my head

Ouch. This reminded me of :

Also beware of your loft hatches, I had mine come down on my head as
(unbeknown to me) it had a faulty catch. Until this point I thought
seeing stars was just in the cartoons, along with the comedy head lump.

Cheers,

Paul.