Holly, in France

Peter Parry wrote in message
On 22 Feb 2005 04:28:28 -0800,
(Paul) wrote:

I'm looking for some
advise about the panels used on the INSIDE of the garage roof, I'm
guessing for fire retardant (its an attached garage). They look
similar to sheets of pasterboard - but I'm pretty sure they're not!

If it is asbestos cement sheet it will be quite hard, whitish grey in
colour and usually have one plain side and one dimpled side. It is
essentially the same stuff as the corrugated version.

Perfect description. Paul, is that what you have got? If so you could
damp it down and remove it and dispose of it as others have suggested.

If what you have is a pale grey/brown board, thickness something like
plasterboard, softer than asbestos cement, it might or might not be an
asbestos insulating board containing amosite, or brown asbestos. How old
is the building? You could carefully break off a small corner and look
at it closely. If you can see fibres I think it would be worth getting
it tested by your local authority, if they offer this service, or
otherwise by a private asbestos analyst. You would be able to see
asbestos fibres in this type of board, but then again some boards were
fibrous and didn't contain asbestos. If you can see shiny flecks of mica
it is most probably 'supalux' and is unlikely to contain asbestos. You
are not going to know for certain unless you have it tested. IF you
could find someone who has seen enough of these boards, and IF they were
willing to give an opinion, they would have a good chance of knowing
without microscopy, but I think it unlikely you would find anyone these
days.

Why do you want to remove it at all? Because you fear it contains
asbestos or because you are doing something else with the garage? If it
is in good condition and painted, you could just leave it alone...

Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website:
http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr