Default Back Bevel on Bench Plane blade

Hi,

The usual bench planes have the blade with the bevel down. The bed
angle is 45 degrees. With a single bevel blade, This gives a cutting
angle of 45 degrees which is good for long grain on straight grain
hardwoods like maple. For figured woods it is recommended that planes
have higher bed and cutting angles of 50 - 60 degrees. That means
owning different planes with different bed angles. Do we need to own a
smoother, jack, and jointer plane of higher bed angles or can we get
away with only a high angle smoother?

Could we play this trick? For an normal 45 degree bed angle plane, can
we put a 5 degree back bevel on the blade to make the cutting angle a
total of 50 degrees? Is there loss of performance with this set-up?

Thanks,
Peter