Edwin Pawlowski

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
My old whirlpool (no ice maker) says the running power requirement is 330
to 420 watts. That between 3 and 4 A. Newer machines undoubtedly use
more electricity, but I can't imagine one using 10 A except at start up
and a 15 A breaker allows for temporary overage at start up.

Don't be suprised if the new ones use less. I got rid of an old 10 cu. ft
fridge and replaced it with a new 18 cu. ft. frost free and my electric bill
went down $10 a month. It has a nameplate rating of 4.75 A The kitchen
fridge has a Full Load rating of 6.5A for a 21 Cu. ft. side by side.

Searching a few web sites, they don't give any power requirements aside from
115V so doing any comparisons is not going to be simple. . In any case, a
15A breaker can certainly handle that load.

A dedicated circuit has nothing to do with safety, it has to do with
economics.

I'm not so sure. My house built in 1978 has a separate circuit. The safety
issue is not what the fridge will draw, but what other kitchen appliances
will do along with it. I'm not up on the code but I believe there is
specifics for counter receptacles as they can easily carry coffee makers,
toaster ovens, microwaves, all going at the same time.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/