jj3000

Hi.. could the use of this brand/type of valve imply that it is using
the gas line from the house instead of a portable propane tank.

I have looked everywhere for a propane tank fitting in my backyard but
failed to locate one.

"John Galbreath Jr." wrote in message ...
The PP-LL stands for Price Pfister Log Lighter valve. It is a common gas
valve used on log lighters in fireplaces. It uses a 5/16" key found at most
fireplace shops. You would turn that key and light the burner with a match.

wrote in message
ups.com...
The plate near the firepit is round and chrome plated with one small
square in the middle. One side of the plate says L-L and the other
side says P-P.
Am I missing a knob that will fit over the square?

The plate is also positioned directly outside the firepit in line of
where the pipe enters the pit. So it might be some kind of shut off
valve.

Alan Smithee wrote:
jj3000 wrote:
When I bought the house it had a firepit built in a concrete area

of
the backyard. It is built with bricks and holds water when it

rains.

The previous owner told me he never used it, and disclosure says

there
is no permit for it.

Here is the problem. It has a gas line running into the fire pit
(appears to be from under ground) It has a nut at the end of the

pipe,
and just near the pit there is a plate on the ground with a couple

of
tiny knobs on the ground that's has label "LP"? or something, is

this
a valve control of some sort?

I havn't trace where this pipe is coming from, might be tapping

from
the gas line in the house under the crawl space and running below

the
backyard concrete slabs?

The pipe is also just steel and it is rusting. I want to figure

out
how this thing works. I wouldn't mind cutting off the gas pipe

from
the possible "tee" inside the house and capping it off there. I
wouldn't mind it being just a regular log burning pit if I have

to..

Do I need a burner or some sort to try it out? Also what do I do
about the pipe being corroded?

Could have been a hook up for a propane BBQ. Is there a propane

storage tank
on the property. There should be a shutoff in any event. Be careful.

You may
need to dig around a bit. Be even more careful.