Andy Hall

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:57:51 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Andy Hall am typed:

Don't buy either of these. You can get a Makita 14.4v 6228 with
two batteries for the same or little more money

A combi drill I think not. c £243
although I agree that makita are fine tools, if you can justify the
cost.

There is very little point in buying a cheap cordless combi drill.
The mechanics and control of the motor are simply not up to any
meaningful hammer action for any length of time.

This comes down *again* to the type/frequency of use and your available
budget.

There is also an impact on accuracy, ease of use and productivity.
If you don't cost your time then this may not matter.

If you do, then it matters a lot.

Professional, or DIYer with more money then ability.

Or somebody able and wishing to do a better job more quickly than is
possible with junk tools.

Again, if one costs in the *complete* situation and accounts for the
cost of time, it makes good economic sense to buy quality products
that are accurate, easy to use and do not fatigue the uset.

Real cheep battery operated tools such as the Argos and B&Q house brands are
a complete and utter waste of money, but *some* of the in-between brands are
fine IMHO for diy use.

That depends again on how/if you cost your time and the quality and
speed of the intended work. I don't automatically equate "DIY" with
cheap, poor quality, built down to a price point, and promoted by the
marketing pundits as "DIY grade" to an audience that will accept "good
enough". I don't think that "good enough" often is good enough.
A poorly made product will still be poor whether used for ten minutes
or all day.

A far better solution is to buy a good quality cordless drill as I
have suggested (this will do anything up to and including light to
medium masonry work)

LOL

Probably if you are using one of the catalogue unknown products that
will sink without trace next week, you would be. There is an enormous
difference between these and a proper product with decent mechanics,
controller and batteries.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl