Ed Sirett

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:54:32 +0000, Lobster wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:
Phil wrote:

Does anyone have the exact text for BS 6172:2004 as I cannot find it

11.1.3 Unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer's instructions, a gas
hob shall be connected to the termination point by a rigid fixed
connection.

Ah - that substantiates the 'unsubstantiated' quote in my previous post
to this thread. So give that in the OP's case, the mfr has never even
heard of the 'rigid connection' regs, it is barmy that the mfr's
instructions take precedence. (Isn't it?)

AIUI the manufacturers instructions 'trump' the regs. I suppose this is to
allow for an appliance which out-performs the rest of the field in some
respect [1]. However in the case of this inset hob we seem to have the
opposite case where the manufacturers require the installation to be less
than best practice. Crazy.

[1] For instance the clearances to most modern boilers casings from
combustible materials are substantially less than the 75mm (IIRC) required
in the regs.