Andrew Chesters

Mike wrote:
Anybody know what the angles needs on a mitre saw are to make coving fit
flush in a 90deg corner.

It isn't a 45 deg cut made vertically :-)

'course it bl00dy is! Obvious! There again I did work for 10+ years as a
picture framer. 90 degrees is easy, try a few obtuse/acute angles in a
complex moulding :-( The worst was a frame in the shape of Sherlock
Holme's pipe in profile. Don't ask, it was for a pub, and housed a
collection of pipes.

If you haven't seen how a framer cuts moulding, I'll describe the tool;
I don't get sleepless nights... any more.

Imagine facing the tool, it stands waist high with a footpedal. Behind
some guards (not special) there is a pair of blades with the angle
towards you in the horizontal plane, bit like \/. The blades are highest
near you, sloping down at about 45 deg.

Holding the moulding in place, you press the pedal, the blades are
pulled down, cutting through the timber. A sharp press, nothing to
strenuous, would go straight through 2" PAR giving a very clean cut. No
accidents while I was there, maybe because we respected it so much! No
Risk Assessment needed...