Mary Fisher

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

No, bit of a cheat though - I don't have any under the floors (they are
solid), so it has to go round the walls (but inside). Given the situation
you describe, I would probably have gone for the under floor route and
limited my worrying to *definitely* ensuring the under floor ventilation
was
adequate. The nub of the argument is whether surface mounted pipes are
"illegal" in some way

The same arguments were made in the forum referred to by the OP.

You know how when there's a post or the like on a corner and children

swing
on it every time they go past it? That would have happened in this
situation, it would have come off the wall next to the back door in no

time.

I would have probably tried the legal route as well, in that case,
whatever
the actual state of the law! If the gas pipes are available to swing on
(which I don't think you said to start with)

"The gas pipe was fixed *outside* the walls. It came out of the coal shed
(where the meter was), along the lowest course of bricks, *up the side of
the
back door frame, over the top, down the other side,* along the lowest bricks
and into her kitchen."

Between * and * describes it quite well, I think. Piping which goes round a
door frame is available to be swung on. If it's available it will be as
anyone with experience of children and adolecents will know.

The fact remains though the domestic gas loose
outside isn't particularly dangerous compared with it loose inside. Even
if
there's no-one in, a light gas explosion will destroy a house as most
masonry walls will only withstand about 2psi (AFAIR) (across the whole
wall)
lateral pressure difference.

Of course it will. An HGV going off the road and hitting a house can destroy
it too, we don't keep them out of residential areas (sadly). There are many
examples of possible dangers.

If someone popped up now with a proposal to pipe inflammable gas into
people's houses in thin walled cooper tube (this not having been thought
of
yet) they would be laughed at, of course, but there we go!

Using such examples of bad practice are irrelevant. There must be thousands
of such things. No-one suggests piping gas into in people's houses. Gas,
electricity, water, fire are all dangerous when not used properly. Bad
masters comes to mind. Best practice bears that in mind and aims for safe
installations.

And it should when routing gas or water pipes and electricial wiring and
that include potential accidential or malicious physical damage.

Mary

Bob