Edwin Pawlowski

"a guest" wrote in message
I am shoping for a refrigerator. I can only connact to a 15A circuit.

I looked some of the Maytag and Kenmore models. Some just listed as
UL rating. Some stated that the maximum amps is 20.

So do I need a 20A circuit for a refrigerator? The fridge will be in
a finished basement.

Thanks for input.

Y.

You should be OK. I just looked at a couple of web pages to see what power
they actually draw, but they did not list the specification. Kitchen Aid
did state a 15A or 20A circuit is sufficient.

As a matter of code I believe new homes must be wired with a single 20A
circuit for the refrigerator. This is to allow for a decent power draw and
it avoids having the fridge and toaster on the same line, blowing breakers,
etc. It is just good common sense.

I have a second fridge in the basement also and it is on a 15A line and has
been for over 20 years. New models take much less power than the older ones.
What you want to be careful of is putting a lot of other appliances or heavy
draw items on that branch circuit. Safety aside, you don't want the kids to
plug in a game, blow the breaker and they go out and play. Three days later
you find the fridge is now warm and food spoiled.