Mary Fisher

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

Fisher wrote:
I wish I'd taken a picture of a central heating boiler installation
at a neighbour's house - done on a government grant..

The gas pipe was fixed *outside* the walls.

Not unusual and arguably often safer than the alternatives.

I've never seen it before. The alternative would be to take it under the
floor (a much shorter route) which is the norm round here at least. Fixed

the outside wall is vulnerable and therefore potentially unsafe.

The trouble is that, although more likely to be damaged, the hazard from a
gas leak outside is fairly low (no explosion risk).

Piping should be done so that it doesn't leak in normal conditions. when
outside it's far more vulnerable than when it's under the floors. Are you
worried about your gas piping being under floors?

Under floor leaks
(although much less likely) are far more hazardous (very high explosion
risk).

I guess the two balance out and you would go for the shortest run (which
it
sounds like they didn't!)

They didn't.

That was accepted by the installers when they were threatened with legal
action.

Well that *may* just mean they couldn't afford the time and money to go to
court - the case for most small businesses.

Court was never mentioned, I think the threat of losing the contract might
have been more telling.

My major complaint would have been that it looked crap and could they
please
redo it!

That was the first line, they didn't accept it.

I really wish I'd taken a picture ...

You know how when there's a post or the like on a corner and children swing
on it every time they go past it? That would have happened in this
situation, it would have come off the wall next to the back door in no time.

Mary

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)